Lord Kingdom

Dance Gavin Dance - Artificial Selection (2018)

263 posts in this topic

True Detective | Twin Peaks | Unforgettable

600x600bb.jpg

Leaked
Release - June 8, 2018
Genre - Post-Hardcore

Quality - MP3, 320 kbps CBR / FLAC (CD-Rip)

Tracklist:

1. Son of Robot
2. Midnight Crusade
3. Suspended In This Disaster
4. Care
5. Count Bassy
6. Flash
7. The Rattler
8. Shelf Life (feat. Kurt Travis)
9. Slouch
10. Story of My Bros
11. Hair Song
12. Gospel Burnout
13. Bloodsucker
14. Evaporate (feat. Andrew Wells of Eidola)

Download

Support!

Facebook / iTunes / Physical

• Like 5
  • Love 38
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

YEEEEES

• Like 1

Arse is here

• Like 1

SPOILERS

Dance Gavin Dance has been a mainstay in the scene for over a decade now and their discography spans about 10 projects. That itself is impressive, given many bands call it quits after 3 LPs or so. Somehow throughout all of their albums, they maintain amazing quality and variation Their last album, Mothership, is probably one of my top 5 favorite albums ever. The question is: will that trend continue with Artificial Selection? I'm going to give my opinion on that in a track-by-track analysis.

Son of Robot: Ah, the continuation of the 'Robot' series. Though in my opinion, it's more like a successor to 'We Own the Night'. There's a lot to unpack in this opening track. It's layered with Nintendo-esque riffs accompanied by aggressive parts during Jon's verses. This song is the strongest single for me. Tilian uses his voice so well and has done so for years in the way that he raises and lowers his pitch over one use. This song also arguably has one of the best choruses. "It's the way that she combs my hair" is a vintage DGD lyric, and Tilian nails the melody as he sings the last word of the chorus, "coma". One of the many instances on this album where Tilian shows that he still has new things left in the tank.

Midnight Crusade: The first single from ArSe understandably raised some concern. It's easily the safest song on the album, so it was a good single to release. There's a very subtle riff during the chorus that I implore everyone to pay attention to. Overall, solid lyrics and high energy. I suspect it'll be especially great live. Also, dat ending. 

Suspended in this Disaster: Wow, this song. This song provided one of my best first impressions on the album. Classic DGD riffs to start off, Jon and Tilian trading off verses perfectly too. The way the pre-chorus melds into one of the best choruses I've ever heard is straight up beautiful. Tilian flexes on every vocalist ever on this chorus, wow. Could've ended a liiiittle better, but I can easily forgive that.

Care: This song had to grow on me quite a bit. Will Swans kills it with the subtle guitar licks throughout the entire song. Tilian and Jon work together so well on this chorus as well. Lyrically, one of the most relateable songs on the record.  Some might find Care a bit hard to vibe to, but I think it's really chill and provides some summer vibes. Shoutout to the underrated lyrics of "The parasites wont go away, they live inside you." Of course I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the great funky bridge/outro. It brings the more chill song to a stunning climax. I absolutely love the bell/alarm thing before Tilian breaks it down too. 

Count Bassy: Only the second new song in the first. I'll say right off the bat that this is one of my favorites. You'd think from the title that it is going to one of their more funky songs. It has a subtle funky vibe, but it's more so on the R&B side I guess, but very spacey. Jon doesn't come in till around 2:40, pretty late for him. Jon is used for the bridge to bring the song to a crescendo and it works so well. The outro is hauntingly beautiful as well, rare group vocals from DGD.

Flash: One of the more hyped ones on the KL exclusive preview, I can't say I agree completely. A solid song overall, and has vintage sex-oriented DGD lyrics. Chorus does go hard, but I can't vibe with it as much as many did with the preview. I love the more basic, fast paced chords layered with some of Swan's licks.

The Rattler: Jesus Christ, Jon Mess. Many could tell by the title that Jon would go off on this song, many would be correct. He lets it all loose with some of his best lyrics. "I'LL USE YOUR FACE LIKE A DUMB ASS RATTLE." There's some prominent bass at parts and it sounds sooo nice. Tilian's parts, especially on the bridge, work off of Jon's aggression really well. Then it leads back into one of the most heavy moments on the album. Those tones, damn son.

Shelf Life: KURT TRAVIS FEATURE. It absolutely sounds like a Happiness song. Kurt is used liberally in such a dream state way while Tilian seems like he's the featured artist instead. This song is a nice come down after the intensity of The Rattler. It has some Eternity Forever vibes too. Not one of my favorites, but it fits really will in the tracklist overall.

Slouch: Nice bassy intro and Jon starts it out strong. I think this song will benefit from a quality update the most. There's a lot going on underneath the hood. This is probably my least favorite song on the album, to be honest with one of Tilian's weakest choruses ever. I just don't think the instrumentals and the vocal melodies work together well, I feel nothing from it all. Jon has some solid parts though. I do really like the instrumental bridge though and then Jon kinda saves the whole thing.

Story of My Bros: This song is so fun. Absolutely is their pop-punk song, thus I will be blasting this all summer. The intro riff really sets the tone for the song and the drumming reminds me of TSSF. Also "I'm smoking weed out of a pussy filled with money, I like this" is one of my favorite Mess lyrics on the album. Tilian's verse at 1:40 is classic Tilian era DGD lyrics as well.

Hair Song: Great tune here. Seems like it'd fit well in a jumpy live setting, so the title of the track fits. 1:15ish starts an exceptional Tilian part. I think overall, this is an average DGD song but some parts really shine. I'd maybe like to read Mess's lyrics to grasp it better.

Gospel Burnout: Most of you have heard this one already thanks to the Lord. I do love this song. It's one of the softer ones, but the guitar and bass work are awesome. Tilian has some unique vocal melodies, and Jon does as well. Tilian is sampled in an electronic way and Mess is too actually and it works so well. Ends on a great note too.

Bloodsucker: I hope people end up loving this song, because it's certainly one of my favorites all the way at track 13. Jon absolutely slays right off the bat. I think it's awesome and one of the best songs on the record, but I also think this one could use a quality update especially. Lyrically, this song seems one of the more face value, specific ones. Something about corporations or the government taking advantage of people maybe. Tilian's chorus is absolutely infectious and he matches Jon's aggression perfectly. Also 2:00. Wow. Shoutout to the 4:20 run time too.

Evaporate: And here we are at the closer, and the longest song on the record as per usual for DGD. It immediately sets itself up to be one of their more unique songs. As most of their closers do, this song has a "larger than life" sound. Andrew of Eidola absolutely helps with that fact as he nails his feature. "You always see right through my, my masquerade" is one of Tilian's best vocal deliveries on the album, maybe ever? The last minute is just pure amazing-ness. Also Jon at 4:24 "I do, I do" reminds me of the song Acceptance Speech, I wonder if it's an intentional callback.

And that's all they wrote. Based on my track-by-track analysis, one would think that I love this album. I do, but not as much as I wanted to love it. My review is vastly positive because DGD can't really write a bad song, they're all really good or better. But DGD, at least for me, has insane standards to live up to. As I mentioned, Mothership is one of my favorite albums ever. I tapered my expectations by telling myself it wouldn't beat it, but still. I did the same for Instant Gratification and they DID beat it. I think the album overall sounds like a mix of Happiness and Instant Gratification, but with worse lyrics. And therein lies my main issue. I think the lyrics for the entire album are significantly worse than Mothership. I've listened to the album about 10 times, but a lot of enjoying lyrics has to do with familiarity, knowing the certain lyric is coming and singing it loud. Maybe that's why, but I do think the lyrics still took a step back. No moment touches "if I fall, will you be there to catch me now?" from Philosopher King lyrically, nor does a song touch Inspire the Liars or Frozen One in general. I'd liked to have seen Slouch or maybe Hair song be cut to make it a more complete project. This makes me not as emotionally invested as I am with Mothership or Instant Gratification. Furthermore, instrumentally it's amazing of course. However, I think they're less...catchy/impactful than in the past. I can respect the skill, but I dont vibe with them as much as I'd have liked. Lastly, I think Jon and Tilian took a step back in working together, despite them doing it really well again. It seemed more like they were exchanging verses in Artificial Selection, rather than the PERFECT synergy they had on Mothership. Don't get me wrong, though. It's an amazing album and I'm happy with it, as evident by my track analysis. I just wanted to discuss some gripes at the end. I'm sure I'll love it more as I get acclimated to it too. Rank-wise, I'd go Mothership > IG > ArSe > AS, and I'm someone that loves AS more than the average DGD fan. In fact, there's a chance that I do like Acceptance Speech more than this, well see. Number-wise, I'm gonna go with an 8.5 for now. Thank you if you read this, and enjoy the album! Oh and favorites: Son of Robot, Suspended, Count Bassy, The Rattler, Story of My Bros, Bloodsucker.

• Like 17
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1

AOTY AOTY AOTY AOTY. THANK YOU KING

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

@xcblackdiamond are you a time traveler or just happy to see me?

• Haha 2

I'm pumped, but I'm gonna wait for the sweet, sweet sound of 320kbps.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Cool leak, thanks LK. Now the debate of whether to listen or wait for HQ begins 😐

Songs that I liked in the album:

Care
Count Bassy
Shelf Life
Slouch
Story of My Bros
Gospel Burnout
Evaporate

I give it a 8.5 / 10 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dwesk said:

@xcblackdiamond are you a time traveler or just happy to see me?

yes

Also to all, it is a very listenable 128 btw, one of the best 128s.

• Like 4

YESSS, this is going to be on repeat!

Thanks for the leak KL!

2 minutes ago, realowl said:

Songs that I liked in the album:

Care
Count Bassy
Shelf Life
Slouch
Story of My Bros
Gospel Burnout
Evaporate

I give it a 8.5 / 10 

Sounds like a 5/10 to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dwesk said:

Sounds like a 5/10 to me.

in a sense but the rest of the songs are good but without the scream parts so im just going to focus on the parts without the screams.

• Haha 1

See? told ya 3 hours ago :D

• Like 1

I'm not crying, you are.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, realowl said:

in a sense but the rest of the songs are good but without the scream parts so im just going to focus on the parts without the screams.

the way you worded this makes it sounds like you don't like Jon Mess. just an observation I'm curious about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xcblackdiamond said:

yes

Also to all, it is a very listenable 128 btw, one of the best 128s.

Thanks, good to know.

• Like 1

WOOOOOOOO

8983F749-0066-4445-979E-8B654AC34510.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Love 8
  • Haha 16

@bost42 now that's a meme.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dwesk said:

@bost42 now that's a meme.

I like my memes how I like my chicken, deep fried, and SPICY.

I think I'll hold off for a higher rip but stoked on it

YEEEEEAAAHHH BOIII! Probably the best 128 I have heard. 320 will come on Thursday for sure if not sooner but the 128 is definitely listenable.  Im gonna transcode it though to make it sound even better. For those wanting to wait for 320, DON'T! This is great quality for a 128 rip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

They finally did it, they finally went full easy-core-pizzaborswithdavedays on Story of My Bros.

F%CKING hate Shelf life and Slouch

Every thing Andrew Wells touches is GOLD.

Strong 7.

Easily my second favorite album to come out this year so far. Bloodsucker and Count Bassy are fucking stupendous. This’ll be on repeat for a good while. 

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, SHINEBOXX said:

YEEEEEAAAHHH BOIII! Probably the best 128 I have heard. 320 will come on Thursday for sure if not sooner but the 128 is definitely listenable.  Im gonna transcode it though to make it sound even better. For those wanting to wait for 320, DON'T! This is great quality for a 128 rip.

You do what? Well except for killing me

• Like 1

Yes, been waiting for this one!

6 minutes ago, xdannyc said:

F%CKING hate Shelf life and Slouch

But... Kurt though

Trash band is trash

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

15 minutes ago, SHINEBOXX said:

Im gonna transcode it though to make it sound even better.

I really don't think you know what you're doing...

• Love 1
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, ray102396 said:

Yes, been waiting for this one!

But... Kurt though

Well maybe because it's the first time and the fact I listened to happiness right before the leak and I'm bit overwhelmed 

• Like 1